Heljan 009 MW 2-6-2 Sound Install

Heljan Manning Wardle Sound Installation are beginning to appear here. Initially they will be as an addendum to the guidance notes included in with the Sound Install kits for those that have purchased them.  To the outside viewer they will, therefore seem a bit disjointed as they follow on from those notes.

Software / Sound Project Issue

Only after the first of the kits were sent out did we spot an issue with the set up of the project on the decoder when running on DC. I guess we assumed that everyone going to this much trouble would be running using DCC.  It’s a bit annoying really given that one of the bits we’ve been proud of in our recent sound projects is the sound working on DC.

  • Who is affected? If you ordered your install kit in 2020 you are not affected. Early deliveries, basically the first fifteen sent out, have on CV setting wrong.
  • What’s the issue? On DC the sound is silent. If you’re only running on DCC you’re fine. Nothing to do.
  • How do I put it right? If you’re DC only you need to find a friend with DCC. Ask them to change CV13’s value to 1. They’ll know what you’re on about.

That’s it. We’ve now amended the defaults on the installed sound project so have sound on when on DC so any ordered after 1st January 2020 are the altered version.

Mk2 Chassis – additional capacitor install

In the printed notes I explained that TAW was running with just the capacitors on the SACC16 board because of clearance issues for the wiring of the coal bunker capacitors. With the initial kits now shipped and the Christmas orders caught up with I have returned to getting them installed.

These notes may seem a little disjointed. Allow me to explain why. Working on these locos is fiddly and requires quite a lot of concentration. For my own sanity I am doing it a bit at a time with a build/photo/write cycle before going back to the next build bit. As a result there may be some backwards steps.

This part of the notes refers to the MK2 style chassis in my model of TAW. TAW is my guinea pig loco. Consider this work both in the notes and here as me thinking aloud. Its probably going to be messy! When I am happy with TAW as a method I have a Lyd to do which I will document as the tidy version. This methodology isn’t unusual. In another scale when I developed an install for the Ixion Fowler it took several locos and iterations to arrive at a `stable’ design and method.

Readers of the instructions will have noted that the clearance between the top of the casting that holds the motor in place and provides some weight has no clearance between its top and the body, so no room for the wires to the capacitors.

There is enough material to remove some. Here I have taken some material out of both sides with a cutting disc in a mini drill and then a file. I will do a bit more to clean up the right hand side.

As an aside I would recommend photographing your work. What you thought was good enough with the naked eye will reveal opportunities for improvement.


Whilst I was at it with the cutting disc I also did for the sticky out backhead detail. This bit might not be necessary but it is a tight(ish) fit of the speaker between the backhead and the cab back so it seemed reasonable when you won’t be able to see the detail because there is a speaker in the way.

The backhead will, or course, get painted black.







 358 total views,  1 views today