A month, or so, ago I was going on about sticks with glimpses of a carriage on my Facebook page but at that time I couldn’t say a lot more. Well I suppose now all can be revealed.

It was a retirement gift for a friend and colleague and is a model loosely based on coach 106. For that reason I couldn’t say a lot until after the presentation. The retiree is Jed Perks who retires from the FR as the carriage maintenance electrician. This all gets a bit scary as I remember when he first volunteered at Boston Lodge. Jed took over maintaining the carriage electrics that I designed and installed after I moved back to working on bigger trains.

Before all the armchair experts start telling me what’s wrong with it I already have a pretty good idea. 106 was chosen because we already had STL files for the sides and ends of it from an earlier 3D printing experiment but in a form that allowed little or no editing.

The stick nonsense all came about from handles I made to hold the parts whilst working on them and due to the secret nature of the project I cropped the pictures to show the handles and only snippets of the coach.

The first stick was for holding the still fragile body whilst it was painted. 


It was very fragile as the 3D printed sides are actually slotted so that the glazing fits into the side and has framing on both sides

Whilst being painted 10 thou plastic sheet was slid in as a mask whilst the interior was sprayed a light brown to represent wood and the exterior was first sprayed cream all over and then, when dry, masked along the waist and spray maroon. Only then was the non see through glazing replaced with the clear stuff.

Interior: At 9pm one evening the coach had no interior and wasn’t going to have one. The I tried it assembled and it looked horribly empty. By midnight a 3D print file was in the queue at Shapeways but to get that a lot of compromises and imagination was needed to make up the interior and I totally cocked up the armchairs for the 1st class saloon and made their legroom conditions far worse than third class. The arm chairs should be bigger and only four of them.



The interior was printed in one piece, but I made it such a good fit that it wouldn’t fit and I had to split it to get it in. You can also see the wrong bogies at the top. They’re L&B bogies because I had some (they would be right under car 14).

I have some cunning plans for the next version. You really do never stop learning at this lark. When we did the original 3D printing experiment the cost was such that we didn’t think they would sell so we dropped the idea. Now I am not so sure.

Finishing: Glazing Fitted, Interior Fitted, Grab Handles fitted, Wrong Door handles fitted.

The grab and door handles came from a casting provided by Slaters for their L&B coach and were used because they were available. Proper T Handles are in the works for any future models.

Finishing: Final Assembly: More errors forced by what was to hand. Should have “FIRST” and “THIRD” in words rather than numbers and the crests were a nightmare to get to fix. Supposedly `rub down’ but didn’t want to come off the backing paper. Fed up with these transfers new waterslide ones for all FR and, shortly after that, F&WHR are in development for both 7mm and 4mm scales. Should be available early next year

Conclusion: there was a lot of improvising in knocking this carriage up from bits to hand and compromising on the details because their wasn’t time to get the right information. This coach wouldn’t run. It was never intended to. The bogies are rigid and its screwed down to the base.

It planted enough of a seed of ideas to take forward and another request for a presentation models gives me the chance to research it this time and to develop its production towards that of being a kit


 1,463 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.