A 3D Printer Comes in Handy

I’ve had a fancy 3D printer for the business for over a year now but for the model business the emphasis is always the finest resolution and the smoothest finish.

Those that follow this blog will know I spent the weekend working on The Brymston RR layout but a snippet that only made it to Facebook reporting that my repaired Bandsaw was working fine mentioned that the dust vac extractor pipe had fallen out of place so everything was covered in dust.

As I am not using power tools on a daily basis in the workshop, I only have a portable vacuum that I connect to tools as needed. Prior to its repair the bandsaw hadn’t seen much use – or at least I hadn’t noticed its dust being a problem.

The problem is that the connector on the hose and the socket on the bandsaw are different diameters. In the past bodged working had been facilitated by either a stick wedging it in or the universal fix all – some tape.

There are commercial connector kits available but none of them seem to include an elbow which is what this really needs to make the pipe sit right to where the portable vac lives.

Time for a home made fix

First thing was to measure the various diameters and the tapers that were on them to make the parts lock together. Then it was time to fire up the CAD and get it drawn.

This turned in to a bit of a CAD lesson as I ended up using some features I hadn’t used before.

The result was this.




From there the CAD file is saved as an STL format file ready for the printers software to set it up to print.

This sets up the orientation of the print and creates the supports that hold it all together whilst it prints. The image to the right is what you see in the software but this is upside down to what happens on the printer.

The software normally sorts out the orientation to prevent resin pooling anywhere as it tends to cure by association if it isn’t able to run off back into the tank as the print rises from the bath of resin. This shape gave it a headache and it took several goes to get it right. From here it sends the print file across the network to the printer downstairs in the workshop.

Its all quite clever with the network control and monitoring but you do still have to go and press the start button. Instead of finest resolution of 25 microns this was printed at 100 so it was quite a quick print. Left to dry and cure in UV overnight today we have a proper connection the saw.



Naturally, this coincides with the bulk of the sawing having been completed


 302 total views,  1 views today

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.