Model Reservations - Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions relate to the
reservations of models ordered from EDM models in advance of the
model being available from the manufacturer.
I don't really like having to lay down T&C's
but one or two people trying to pull a fast one has resulted in this
document being produced. Please don't order models unless you really
- Your reservation is placed with a deposit paid to
- The size of the deposit may vary from project to
project. The amount will be noted on the project web page or order
- Your deposit is held until we have either a
confirmed or standby reservation for your model
- Your deposit is held in a reserve account until the
- Deposits on confirmed reservations are non refundable.
- Deposits on standby reservations will be returned
if the reservation cannot be fulfilled. [see below for details]
- Your deposit will be returned should the project be cancelled
by the manufacturer.
- If you place the reservation via our website the
shopping cart will add the standard postage charge to the total.
This will not be charged to your card. It will be removed before the
payment is processed.
The deposit is really about deterring
time wasters so to a genuine modeller it isn't really a problem to
you. For me a number of last minute "no, I have changed my mind"
responses to requests for payments can be a real problem when
ordering lots of expensive models. We are not heartless though so we
will listen to sob stories and if you come up with a good one you
may be able to cancel and get your deposit back late in the day.
- Initially we order a batch of models from a
manufacturer and receive confirmed reservations for these.
- When you order we will allocate one of these
models to your order.
- Once our initial order is used up we will add
your model to our order with the manufacturer and confirm your order
when we receive confirmation from them.
- Once a project is fully subscribed we, and the
manufacturer, will offer "standby reservations". Your reservation
will be held on file and then filled if a model becomes available.
This often happens as dealers reserve engines and then don't claim
their full allocation.
- It the model of your choice only available as a
standby reservation we will discuss alternatives with you.
- If we take your order as a standby reservation
and cannot fill the order we will return your deposit.
The background here is that whilst we
order a number of models based on reservations and our estimate of
what we might sell we cannot afford to lay in massive stocks. The
manufacturer has to commit to production numbers many months in
advance of delivery so between that date and delivery they are
selling a finite number of available models. The very nature of the
models to which we apply the deposit scheme means that the
production quantities aren't massive so there is the risk you won't
get the model you want if you leave it to the last minute.
- The webpage or order form for each model will
display the projected UK sale price.
- This price will be referred to as the estimated
price and is not binding.
- Whilst it is our intention to hold to the
estimated price these models are often ordered in advance and from
overseas and are therefore susceptible to changes in exchange rates
- If affected by changes we will have to pass on
the change to customers. We will endeavor to minimise the impact of
this and should it work in our favour we will pass on the benefit to
Estimating the price can be a real
nightmare. In estimating it you are guessing what the exchange rate,
duty rates, VAT rates, interest rates, shipping rates and government
policy are going to be when they are delivered. There's suits in
glass towers make a living guessing those things and when they guess
wrong their cock up becomes a self fulfilling prophecy which is why
the economy is in the state its in now.
I do my best at estimating prices.
Sometimes the final price is a bit more sometimes its less. If its
turns out to be less than I guessed I pass it on to you. I do not
pay myself a million pound bonus whether I get it right or not.
- Our target price does not include delivery in the UK.
- If you arrange to collect at a show you
won't be charged carriage with the final payment provided you have
told us you are collecting it prior to use taking the final payment.
- Typically, we will ship large valuable items
using our preferred next day carrier on and insured service. This
will require a signature at the receiving end.
deliveries are shipped by a tracked and insured service using
- This can be quite expensive. For example the
K27's to Europe cost around £35 to ship
Shipping has been the bane of my
business. At last I think I have achieved a balance that gives good
service for a decent price without my having to spend hours queuing
behind the little old ladies collecting their pensions in the post
office. At the time or typing this anything to the UK with ship with
the APC network, They collect from me at a set time, deliver to you
next day, send you and me e-mails regarding progress all for a
reasonable fee. International its likely to be UPS as they offer the
same service but internationally. Small stuff still goes from the
Post Office but that wouldn't be the sort of stuff with a deposit on
- The balance on the purchase price is payable
prior to delivery.
- The usual process is that we will receive notice
from the manufacturer that the models are ready and that payment is
due. At this stage we will require the balance of the payment for
- Customers paying by card will have their card
charged at this stage.
- Customers with out of date cards will be
contacted for new details.
- Customers paying by cheque will be contacted for
a cheque to cover the balance.
- Customers failing to pay don't get a model
and they don't get their deposit back
subscribe to our electronic newsletter.
- This is now the only way
we will communicate project progress
- We will not respond to
individual e-mail requests for progress news
I am sorry but we have
had to introduce this policy but after answering a succession of "where's my
XY or Z" e-mails and phone calls we found I found I was getting
nothing done. EDM Models is just me, if I am answering phones and
e-mails I am not making the bits or packing the orders you are
probably phoning about. The answer to why haven't you
sent my XYZ is probably "because I was on the damned phone!